Lamb Neck & Vegetable Pie with Lamb Jus
Recipe by Richard Harris
Preparation Time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 55 mins
Makes 2 Portion/Serving
For the Pie Base
2 Shallots, peeled and finely diced
2 Lamb necks, trimmed
1 Carrot, peeled and diced
1 Fennel, washed and diced
1 Celery Stalk, washed and diced
2 Rosemary Stalks
1 Bay Leaf
200ml Simon Gault Lamb Stock
1Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Cup White Wine
For the Pastry
120g Sour Cream
For the Pie Filling
1 Carrot, peeled, washed and finely diced
1 Celery Stalk, washed and finely diced
1 Onion, peeled and diced
1 Red Chili, finely diced
2 Rosemary Sprigs
2 Anchovies, finely diced
3 Sun-dried Tomatoes, finely diced
To Taste Salt and Pepper
For the Jerusalem Artichoke Puree
4 Jerusalem Artichokes
For the Vegetables
10 Green Beans
1Cup White Cabbage, thinly sliced
5 Baby Carrots
1Cup Simon Gault Lamb Stock
- To make the pie base, sauté onions in a pressure cooker pot with a drizzle of olive oil. Add lamb and lightly season. Allow to colour. Add carrots, celery, fennel, rosemary, garlic and bay. Once everything has softened nicely, deglaze with wine and reduce. Add stock to the pot and place the lid on. Bring up to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30mins. Release the pressure in the cooker and leave to rest.
- Meanwhile, make the pastry by placing flour, butter and sour cream into a food processor with a pinch of salt. Pulse until combined. Pour onto a lightly floured bench. Bring the pastry together and wrap with glad wrap. Place into the fridge to rest.
- To make the pie filling, sweat off vegetables, chili and rosemary in some olive oil in a large pan. Add lamb meat from the pressure cooker along with some of the juices. Add anchovies and sundried tomatoes. Simmer to reduce the cooking liquid.
- To make the gravy, sprinkle flour into a pan. Add juices from the pressure cooker pot and cook gently over a low heat. Use a whisk to prevent lumps. Add pie filling and check seasoning. Set aside.
- Take the pastry out of the fridge and place onto a floured board. Use a rolling pin to roll out the pastry to about 5mm thick. Place carefully into two greased pie tins. Cut out two lids from the pastry and set aside. Spoon the pie filling into the tins and place the pastry lid on top. Crimp the edges of the pastry slightly to seal in the filling. Place both pies into the oven at 180° for 30mins until the pastry is golden brown.
- To make the Artichoke Puree, place artichokes into a pot of seasoned water and bring to the boil. Once tender, drain through a sieve. Pour into a food processor and blend until smooth. Add butter and cream to taste and check seasoning. Pass through a sieve and set aside. Keep warm to serve
- Blanch carrots, cabbage and beans in a pot of lamb stock. Drain and finish with butter. Check seasoning, keep warm and set aside.